SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT...

"Its strangeness seemed to trigger in me the same primordial feeling of throwness that every negro experiences when hurled into a society that simultaneously supports and, I am saying, annihilates him, because he can find reflections of himself nowhere in it - like a falcon exiled, say, to the Lifeworld of fish, always off balance, but finally embracing the alien in all its otherness, yet never sure if he's got it right.”

From The Sorcerer's Apprentice by Charles R. Johnson. The quote is from the short story "Popper's Disease" on page 134 of the Penguin softcover.

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Once again: Not doing what I am supposed to.

I'm supposed to be reading the classics but...

Last week I saw The Hunger Games and loved it.  When I tried reading the book a few months ago, I cringed and put the book down when the kids starting killing one another.  Everyone kept saying how good the movie was, so I went to see it.  You know what? The movie was excellent and not as violent as the book.  Now I have to read the two other books in the series.  I'm reading Catching Fire instead of The Canterbury Tales.  Then I found Tracey Morgan's autobiography I'm The New Black on the discounted shelf at Barnes and Noble.  While volunteering at the library I found The Great Molasses Flood of 1919 by Deborah Kops.  Instead of reading Hurston's The Complete Stories, I'm reading Snow White Blood Red Edited by Datlow and Windling.  Sometimes I like doing what I'm not supposed to do.







2 comments:

  1. I have 'The Hunger Games' on my TBR list after seeing a trailer for the film version. I hope you enjoy 'Catching Fire' more than 'The Hunger Games'.

    Thanks for the comment you left on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Spangle. You're probably going to enjoy The Hunger Games. Right now I'm reading Catching Fire and can't believe what is happening. I'll read Mockingjay immediately because I have to find out what happens to these kids. This is as bad as Harry Potter. Can't wait to see what they do with the second movie.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?